How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are many gases that could be inside your Belleville residence. Natural gas and fumes that come from home fixtures, carpeting and paints. None of these fumes are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Call D & K Heating Service Experts at 613-707-2421 right away to start protecting your residence against this dangerous gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Dangerous?

Carbon monoxide could be a serious issue, so it’s not something to mess around with.

1. You Can’t See It

Carbon monoxide is hazardous because you can’t see it, smell it with your nose or taste it. It doesn’t cause irritation in small concentrations and can’t be filtered.

2. It Can Be Fatal Within Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a result of spent fuel. It can filter into your residence during the heating season if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. While it depends on how large the leak is and the ventilation in a home, it could become deadly in only a few minutes.

Once inhaled, the gas has a half-life of about five hours. If you are inhaling pure air, it requires five hours to get it out of your system. It requires an additional five hours to reduce that amount by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Symptoms Can Mimic Other Illnesses

It may also mirror illnesses that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

How to Protect Your Residence from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several things you can take to keep your house safe:

  1. Your residence with at least one gas furnace, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide alarm. You should have an alarm on each level of your residence, in addition to the basement and garage. You also need to install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your residence?
    Call D & K Heating Service Experts at 613-707-2421 to get one. Ask our specialists about our reasonable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide systems.
  2. If you already have a carbon monoxide system, regularly check or swap out the batteries. You should look at batteries every 90 days, and get a new detector every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide sensor sounds, get out of your home without delay and dial 911.

Protect Your Loved Ones with Assistance from D & K Heating Service Experts

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be terrifying, and with the proper steps your home can be protected from the dangerous gas. Take the precautions and call D & K Heating Service Experts at 613-707-2421 to learn more.