Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfortable in your new space throughout the year is a priority. However, they can create a unique problem for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to install a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition could be a great solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they shift heat to make your space cozier. In actuality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and decrease your heating and cooling bills for years to come.
Another unique feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Because each room often has an individual indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is extremely beneficial if you have a room with specific temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is expensive. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total amount will depend on your residence, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This could overwork your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort might decrease. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort might decrease if your system is required to manage a larger space. Your heating and cooling may be less effective, and your utility bills may get more expensive as a result of the system needing to operate more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like traditional systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at D&K Home Services by Enercare, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new space. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when properly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust D&K Home Services by Enercare for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, D&K Home Services by Enercare can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 613-707-2421 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.