When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At D&K Home Services by Enercare, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call D&K Home Services by Enercare prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Belleville, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Belleville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 613-707-2421 or schedule an appointment with D&K Home Services by Enercare through our online scheduler.