Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, D & K Heating Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, D & K Heating Service Experts will check to ensure your heating equipment is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 613-707-2421 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.